Wednesday, November 21, 2012

A Father's Intuition

Every Tuesday is my day with Dad. I usually try to think of something to do that will keep us both entertained and out of trouble - a picnic at the lake, a trip to a museum (the LeMay Car Museum was a hit!), a walk around Green Lake, etc... There is always food involved and often a stop at Costco (have I mentioned that this is Dad's favorite place?). :-) It is a bit trickier to find things to do in the fall and winter, especially on rainy days. And, yes, we are in the Pacific NW. [Insert rain joke here]

Three weeks ago, it was pouring down rain, so I decided that we were going to the mall for lunch and a walk indoors. As we were driving, Dad asked, "Is Lindsey [my sister] pregnant?"  I didn't think much of it because he often asks random questions.

I looked over at him and replied," Not that I know of."

"Oh. That's good. Their house isn't big enough for two babies," he answered, referring to my sister's one-year-old daughter (who is absolutely the sweetest little girl ever!).

"Um, yeah," I said absent-mindedly, focusing on driving in the midst of the downpour.

Less than an hour later we were settled at a table in the mall eating our lunches when he asked again. "Is Lindsey pregnant?"

"I don't think so, but you have asked me twice now."

"I have?" bewilderment written on his face.

"Yes, so maybe I will just send Lindsey a text and ask her. So there is no question."

I get out my phone and type: "Are you pregnant? Dad keeps asking."

I expect a reply of "LOL. Crazy Dad!" But nothing comes. A little while later, while Dad and I are rummaging around in the bookstore, Lindsey calls and says, "Mom said that he wouldn't remember!"

I laugh. "So you are pregnant? That's so exciting!" Meanwhile, Dad is standing there, hearing my side of the conversation, nodding and grinning. "You weren't supposed to say anything," I tease him.

He looks at me shocked. "No one told me she was pregnant. I swear. It was a father's intuition." I throw him a skeptical glance. "Really! I swear! Father's intuition." He is so earnest, I cannot help but smile and nod. He truly believes that he just "knew" of this second grandbaby.

I chat with Lindsey a bit longer and then ask if they are going to find out if the baby is a boy or girl. Dad is still standing there, listening carefully to my side of the conversation. "I haven't decided yet," he says, with complete seriousness. Oh boy - this is too much! He believes that his "father's intuition" told him about the baby and that he also gets to choose its sex. I am attempting to giggle quietly (we are in the bookstore after all!), but it is not working very well.

For the rest of the afternoon, he repeats the mantra "No one told me. I just knew" countless times. Every time, I just smile, laugh, and nod. How can I be anything less than joyful when there is going to be a new little member of the family - and a proud grandpa just waiting to welcome him/her into the world?

Thanks for being here!

1 comment:

  1. Angela, it's wonderful that you're writing this. It's beautifully written.
    Chris was excited to tell me last Wednesday that Lindsey is having a baby.
    I said "Is it true?" and he said "Yes. I know because of father's intuition!"
    In the last few weeks he seems to be remembering a lot of little things.
    One day i asked him if he had a tool to measure antifreeze and within 30 secs he came back from the garage with it in his hand. i wish I could do the same in my garage! -Merv

    ReplyDelete